Wednesday, September 14, 2005

I want to be unique

I have always thought of myself as being unique. Actually, that's not true. I have prided myself in being unique. I remember striving to be unique as a teenager. I didn't want to be like anyone else. I never did anything really extreme. My unique-ness was brought out through creative expression, humor, dance, visual art and the way I dressed.

Now that I'm older and a little more "regular" than I used to be I'm glad that that's how I started out. It helped me become more independent and I am not afraid to express my opinions and thoughts. I express myself through hip hop, spoken word, singing, laughing til I cry....You get the idea.

I recently over heard a conversation where a young female hip hop mc said that she liked being the only girl in her crew because it makes her unique. My heart sunk a little when I heard her. This is where we're at? So, if there were 2 girls in the crew you would no longer be unique?

Has this belief stopped her from collaborating with other women? Probably. If she were to work with another woman would there still be underlying competition (the unhealthy kind)? Would she undermine other's efforts? Or would they undermine hers?

This is a problem in the hip hop community and possibly the whole community. Women feel so competitive against eachother that they can never get too close. We have our friends that we've known for a long time but anyone else has a slim chance to actually become very close to us. There can only be one girl in a hip hop crew. The token. Because you know, women can't get along.

I think this is total crap and at the same time I find myself thinking some of these same things from time to time. But the reality is, what makes me unique is NOT that I am a woman, or the only girl in the crew. What really makes me unique is the fact that only I can tell my story, my way. And I am the only one who knows my whole story.

There's millions of men & women on this earth....But only one of me.

5 comments:

Aliecat said...

It makes me sad that women are perceived as always competitive with each other. It makes us seem catty and insecure. We should be building each other up and supporting one another. Even if that means that woman surpasses us in talent and skill.

princess of the poem: Desdamona said...

I agree. But it is crazy who not only we go up against eachother but other people will pit us against eachother.

Since there are fewer women involved in hip hop it happens a lot. Guys will say stuff like, "she sounds like you" or just ask if I like the other girl. If it was a male mc they wouldn't ask me anything.

I've always tried to help other people, expecially women because I know how hard it is. Unfortunately, I think that there is underlying competetion so that can make it more difficult to help someone.

Aliecat said...

I'm glad that more women are getting into hip hop, not just listening to it, but participating and holding their own. I just wish they weren't looked at as novelties or the token sex object. Unfortuantely, some women use this as their way to get into the business, it's too bad

princess of the poem: Desdamona said...

I actually know some ladies who use their sexuality to sell themselves...and as much as I want women to be able to do what they want, when the want...you gotta be careful when coming into this.

It's not cut and dry. And it's really easy to get manipulated and taken advantage of when you are trying to get heard.

Unfortunately, once you use your sexuality to sell yourself you either get stuck in that position or people assume certain things about you that may or may not be true.

It's kind of one of those, "damned if I do. damned if I don't." scenarios.

Aliecat said...

So true, not just in hip hop, but in life as well, the whole virgin/slut arguement.