Thursday, September 22, 2005

When the wind blows....

I've been walking around the lake every day since Labor day and I have to say that it is so refreshing. The weather has been great and even on the cooler days the sun is still shining. This is my favorite time of year. While other Minnesotans have a dark cloud over their heads and they are complaining about their impending doom, I am simply happy with the whole thing. The air smells great and we get a little bit of everything. Sun, rain, wind, cool, warm, great sunsets. How could anyone complain? Yes, winter is coming but the past few years have been fairly mild. I like winter anyway.

Yesterday at First Avenue I performed for the 25th Annual MN Music Awards. I played with some friends of mine, The New Congress. It was a great night! I won an award for "best spoken word artist" but I didn't win the other 3 I was nominated for. It doesn't even matter because the best part of the night was being able to perform. I can't even begin to explain how much fun it was and from the looks of it, the crowd was lovin' it too. I had my friend Nikki dance to the introduction so she got everybody into it. fabulous! While this was all going on there was a storm raging outside. I think that a tornado touched down some where near Minneapolis. But, I missed it all because I was at the awards.

This morning I got up and went to walk around the lake and I got to see what the storm had left behind. There were branches and twigs every where, strewn across the grass. It kind of looked like maybe the trees got into a little scuff and lost their cool along with some limbs and leaves. On my walk through this earthly cemetary of broken trees there was a steady wind pushing itself across the lake, rattling the leaves that managed to hold tight to their owners. There is always a wind around the lake but today it was stronger than normal. Everytime the wind kicks in I can't help but smile and sometimes I laugh because of it's force. I can't believe that something so invisible can be so strong. It's just amazing to me and I love it...the way it sounds and the way it feels.

When I perform I kind of go to a different place and it all comes out of me. I don't really pay attention to what I'm doing....I just do it. I hope that I create that wind when people are listening to me.

4 comments:

Aliecat said...

It was a wild night, that's for sure! A couple of tornadoes touched down in the Northern Subs.

Anonymous said...

I've noticed you can be pretty windy!!!! Remember when you were 5 years old!! I thought we'd never shut you up - and maybe that's a good thing! Love ya

Anonymous said...

You & The Congress are both awesome! I really enjoyed your show @ the Faith Evans concert.

As a matter of fact, I have some photos for you to check out - here and here.

Enjoy!

princess of the poem: Desdamona said...

thanks for the links lady!!! nice pics! :)