Saturday, September 17, 2005

The other day....

I got an email from someone praising my work as an artist. They then proceeded to ask me to be involved in an event to raise awareness and funds for an organization that shall remain nameless. These kinds of emails are pretty typical in my life. I have done many benefits and fundraisers for many different non-profits and arts organizations.

Their request was that I host an event and I would also perform bewteen acts. Now, hosting is a J.O.B. which is probably why they asked me to do it. It ain't easy and I'll be honest and say that most of the time it really ain't all that much fun. It's work! I host an open mic every week and sometimes it can be the most annoying night. And then sometimes it can be fabulous. So, when people request this of me I have to take this into consideration.

I recently decided that if people want me to host and since it is a larger responsibility than a 15-30 minute performance (which is something that I love to do, by the way), then I would have to charge for hosting. I will perform for free for a cause that I believe in or an organization that is really doing something important.

I do respect the organization that requested my talent but I have to admit that when I responded to their request saying that I would perform for free but if they wanted me to host, I would need to be compensated - and they responded back, I have to approve it with the commitee - In my mind I was like, didn't you already want me to perform? But I guess they didn't. They wanted me to host. The performance they suggested was just to appease me. I need money to appease me. geez!

I know that it wasn't their intention to disrespect me - but this is typical treatment of an artist. Our real skills are not valued the way that they should be (even by our selves). People don't understand that some of us do this for a living. We're not just doing it for fun. It's out livelihood. Even an offering of $20 would be welcome by us. It's our time, our hearts, our talents, and our selves we're giving. Isn't that worth something?

It is to me. And this is really all I have.

No comments: