Sunday, October 30, 2005

Big Brother is HERE!

Just watched 60 minutes and they had a story on Companies who fire employees who smoke....and it's legal. There are companies who have these new health programs that monitor and regulate programs that are built to lessen health care costs.
This makes it easy for them to eliminate the people who have poor health and require more medical assistance.

Now, as much as I agree that it would be great if everyone were healthy I don't see this as a good thing. I don't like smoke so I don't smoke but that doesn't mean that I should be able to decide if someone else can do it or not. I know it's bad for you but I wouldn't want anyone saying to me, "You have to lose 10 lbs or we'll fire you." This is an invasion of privacy and I don't think that your employer she be able to control this part of your life.

I feel like Big Brother is gettin bigger and bigger. There are already many camera's on interstate's and downtown city streets and they are supposedly meant to keep crime down. Ok, I can see that. But everything is becoming more and more controled. People are being lulled into a submissive state. People actually try out to be an "reality shows" that exploit them. They're clammering to get on these shows! It's like we've been tricked and now everyone wants their life on screen. IT's that lure of becoming a star that caught us. But the reality is that these aren't reality shows...They're exploitation, manipulation and it's scary!

This continues to get worse on many levels. Our rights are slowly melting away to the point that we don't even realize that it's happening. Once it's too late, we'll be sorry.

Two years ago my apartment was raided by the cops. Or should I say, armed officers with their guns drawn. There were at least 5 of them who kicked both my front and back doors down, breaking one of them. Upon their entrance I was getting out of the shower - naked. There were running footsteps I heard and then, "Open the door!" But instead of waiting for me to open the door, they kicked it open. and in came 5 cops, guns on me. I was told numerous times to put my hands up. I put them up while still holding my robe in front of me. Had I been in the shower when they came in I don't know what might have happened. I'm sure they would have busted into my bedroom and scared the living shit out of me.

One cop had his gun on me the entire time while the rest proceeded through the apartment. To this day I don't know exactly what or who they were looking for. From what I can gather they were looking for someone who had ties to the people in the apartment below mine and I heard them say, "we saw him come in here."

The only thing they said to me was, "get your hands up!" numerous time. Of course, I was shaking and completely in shock. When they didn't find anything or anyone they left and one of them said, "get your clothes on!" I felt completely violated especially with that last statement. Excuse me, I thought...get the fuck out of my house and don't tell me to get my clothes on! No, I didn't say that - I was scared to move at the time.

I got dressed and it has never been so hard to actually put clothes on in my life. I was still shaking and confused about what the hell just happened.

They left every door of my apartment wide open - and I'm the naked woman inside - hello! Why would you leave the doors wide open. What happened to "serve and protect"?

Once I got dressed I looked out the window and saw at least 10 plain clothed officers - not the ones who were in my apartment. And that freaked me even more. I had talked to my landlord and he had told me to go out and talk to them but at this point I was afraid to walk outside. I didn't know if I would have to walk out with my hands up or if there was New cameras there. So, I didn't go outside. I should have gone outside and found out what the hell happened but I highly doubt that I would have gotten the answers I was looking for.

For the next month or so every noise I heard scared the crap out of me and I couldn't relax in my own house.

Today I saw the cop who had his gun on me the whole time. I will never forget him. I have seen him about 3 times since the raid incident and everytime I see him anger bubbles up inside me. I don't feel safe or like he would help me if I needed it. I don't even feel like he gives a shit. Just doing his "job". I have less and less faith in our police and I know they're not all assholes. I just wish one of them would have had the courtesy to let me know what was happening once they realized that I wasn't involved and I was completely violated. But I guess they can't apologize for stuff like that because then that would mean that they are wrong.

No comments: