Monday, October 24, 2005

Fly Away

4/26/05 desdamona
When she came into this world I had to stage a serious intervention. I wanted her to be able to make a decision without having to actually live through all the pain to learn.So I told her of what this world is really made of. She looked at me with eyes of innocense, so intense I could only look for a moment. She twisted her face in order to hear me, see me. I don't know what she saw when she looked at me. I don't know what language heaven speaks so I did my best to translate my speech into something heavenly.

When I told her of the atrocities that we have inflicted upon eachother she wailed and screamed, could hardly breathe. She shook and shuddered and I held her close to me. Her eyes turned from a bright brown to a cloudy dark blue.

When I told her what our knowledge had done to us she smiled a sheepish grin and turned her head to the side as if to say that she could change the direction we are going. Slowly, she began to speak but I could not decipher her poetry. I listened attentively, hoping that my respect would grant me the ability to understand all the love she had to tell me.

I spoke briefly to her about these disease that we spread with ease but at this, she didn't want to hear me...So, I stopped...deciding that maybe I should tell her of something new. So I whispered the song of my childhood, with all the good and bad
the days of cool grass under me, climbing the mullberry trees and hiding where no one could see me...about the peace and violation of innocence. And she looked at me like she already knew. I told her that as she gets older she will turn into only an echo of what she used to be and a charmed laugh rolled out of her throat as if she had the secret to defy time.

I told her that it was probably best if she just flew away. But after all I had to say....she decided to stay.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this a lot. Is it new? I think it just reminds me of an earlier piece. Love ya, Mom

princess of the poem: Desdamona said...

yeah. it's pretty new. but I know the piece it reminds you of...Poetic Child