Monday, October 17, 2005

The Things We Remember

When I was in 4th grade I used to write a lot of notes. My friends and I sent them back and forth almost every day. It was probably really good practice for me because I wasn't the best reader or writer. I was in the lowest reader class which was pretty embarrassing for me and I also had to take one on one speech lessons. It was an S thing.

I remember once, one of my friend must have been mad at me and she told me all the things that were wrong with me. Number one on the list was that I didn't know how to spell “writing”. I spelled it like this, writting. Well, to this day when I write the word writing – I remember the day I learned how to spell it right.

I don't really consider myself to be a great writer. You can read my posts and see that I'm no pro. But what I am good at is expressing my thoughts, off of the page....where it doesn't matter if anything is mis-spelled. And all those, “sally sold sea shells by the sea shore” really paid off. Now I don't have to sit a room the size of a closet and receit alliteration/ poetry to an audience of one.....I get to to do it for lots of people.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never realized how embarrassing that was for you. But look how far you've come! It's good to remember those stories when you've totally overcome an obstacle. You're the bomb, babe! Love ya

princess of the poem: Desdamona said...

yeah. I felt pretty weird because of it. Luckily I don't remember my friends ever even talking about it. I think it would have been worse if people made fun of me about the reading and speech stuff.

And it's true that evertime I write "writing" I remember 4th grade and Katie Struble telling me that I didn't know how to spell. Katie and I did remain friends so I don't have any bad feelings towards her.

If you would have told me that I was going to be a writer when I was in 4th grade I would have probably thought you were crazy!

:)