Sunday, July 10, 2005

And the saying goes...

You know how people always say that you have to struggle to get to the top or that there is always a struggle to get where you are going...and how it makes you appreciate it more. As this has been true for me throughout my life...I have to say that I think it's a lie. I mean, I don't believe that you HAVE to go through hell to get to the good stuff. I think that's a lie we tell ourselves so that when we go through the crappy stuff the good stuff is just on the other side and we deserve it- so don't worry. It's coming. It somehow makes it easier.

I feel like this mindset can really be our downfall. It's like, "Well, I gotta go through hell to get anything good. I just need to toughin up and I'll make it." eh! And I think a lot of people use it as their crutch to never try and have something good.

I think most of it really comes down to bad decision making and lack of intuition. When I go through rough spots it's a direct reflection of the decisions I made along the way. I have myself to blame...but I'm not going to beat myself up about it. I'm going to get through it not because I want to...but, because I have to. And not because I have to go through maddness to get to happiness.

I'm not into "self help" books but this past year I ran across "the four agreements" and it has actually changed my perspective a lot - and has molded this post. The book is really about looking at things in a different way. There are other books by the same author that explore philosophies and present ways of dealing with things in a different way. It's worth the read. I think I can garantee that anyone who reads it will walk away with something.

It wasn't my intention to promote the book in this post but as I was typing I realized that some of the ideas I was writing were a direct reflection of the book - so I decided to use the space to talk about it.

Rambling on & on,
desdamona

1 comment:

princess of the poem: Desdamona said...

Hey Nelima - thanks! I can hook you up with Rachel if you want. ut you can also post comments on her blog. She will respond. :)

Hope to see you soon.
peace,
desdamona