Tuesday, July 26, 2005

New Religion

religion n. (all that centers about man's belief in or relationship to a superior being or beings) 1. belief in worship of God or gods 2. a specific system of belief, worship, etc., often involving a code of ethics.

My aunt is a minister. One unlike any other I have met - not that I have met that many. She is a truly spiritual and caring person - not condemning or elitist. I realized after reading her latest newsletter that she has actually created her own religion. Her own habits and customs.

As I read, it made me smile. I had always thought that I didn't really belong to a particular religion. None really suited me the way that I thought they should. Nothing felt just right. But what feels right is something that I do religiously, which is write anmd express my poetry. I have always considered them prayers...because they are reminders to me of who am and what I should be.

As I finished my aunt's newsletter I realized that all of the people in my life have their very own religion. My father is a fisherman and story teller. He seems to enjoy helping people and has a hard time saying no. (this is true for most of my family)My mother is a seemstress and likes to create things, watch over people and make sure that everything is just right. My sister is a teacher who is active in her community and seems to always be busy with something. My friend Rachel is a filmmaker, mother and she is always pushing the boundaries within herself and others. And my fried Deirdre is also a mother, friend and very organized person who goes the extra mile when she believes in something.

These people all have their own individual religion. The thing that keeps them going, makes them happy, and keeps them gounded. They all have a great sense of community which shines through in all their actions. It's not about going to church or even claiming a particular religion. These people are true to themselves and others, giving and caring people. I don't know exactly what they believe deep in their hearts but I know that they all feel love, lonliness, compassion, respect, joy, saddness and have a strong will to live. And they religiously reach for something better every day.

No comments: