Tuesday, July 05, 2005



As someone who rarely gets into the holiday spirit I have to say that this 4th of July was a good one. Normally I don't even think about the 4th until someone invites me over to a party. Part of my disinterest is due to the whole drinking binge senario that usually brings out all the people looking for an excuse to get stupid. The other reason would be that....well, that's another post.

I spent the early part of my day with my old roommate and we had lunch at a little taco place on Hennepin. Nothing fancy but it was good and so was the conversation.

Later in the day I hooked up with a friend - actually it was Chris Allen the artist who designed my CD cover. Inkproof Designs We went to a friend and hung out most of the day eating and talking in the shade with a bunch of people I didn't know. Everyone was cool and interesting - and amazingly, not drunk. We watched some pretty mediocre (loud) fireworks courtesy of the neighbors. We humans sure are fascinated by fire and explosions. I guess I'm kind of over the whole fireworks thing. Hopefully I don't sound too unPatriotic. But everytime I see the big city fireworks it just makes me think of how much money is blowing up in the sky...and about what I would do with that money, or what the city could do with that money. I suppose I get the point behind it but it just doesn't seem worth in to me. It just seems like a waste. A pretty, patriotic, priveleged, loud, smelly waste.

How about instead of that super duper, curly q, multi colored, thousand dollar stick of dynamite we put that money into the arts programs in inner city schools. Or how about feeding some of these people?

The great thing about these holidays is really the getting together of people, families, friends. I tend to forget that I have people who care about it. I get so wrapped up in things, frustrations, life...that I forget that I can just hang out with my friends and have a good time every once in a while. Happy 4th. 5th. 6th....you get the idea.

No comments: