Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Here Kitty, Kitty



Yesterday my neighbors called me to tell me that there had been a large group of cats on my back porch earlier that morning. Think horror movie...

So I went to the back when I got off the phone and there was one little guy left. I wasn't sure if he was tame so I just left some food for him and went away. He left shortly after I gave him the food and I haven't seen him since.

Today, I was on my way home from teaching a workshop and as I was driving down my block I see this big group of cats in someone's front yard. I knew theses had to be the same cats that had been on my porch so I decided to call animal control to see if they would come and pick them up. Or something.

When I called the operator told me that there is no leashing law so they can't come and pick them up. She told me that if they were in a cage or a box they could come and pick them up. I was thinking, "If I got them in a cage I would just bring them to you." Isn't this what "animal control" is supposed to do....pick up strays, and
"fix" them so that they don't continue to breed and get out of control?

I love animals but the thought of a bunch of stray cats roaming around my house isn't cool. And if they keep having more and more babies, it will be insane. Of course, I suppose it is possible that these cats have an owner but I find it hard to believe.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Stray cats moving in one large herd around the neighborhood doesn't sound too cool. It's like the old hitchcock movie THE BIRDS. Any sudden moves by the humans and look out!